The dog days of summer have arrived and so has this refreshing drink! The best of a classic Salty Dog and your favorite day-drinking brew. A little tangy, a bit salty and light enough for afternoon barbeques, this summer cocktail is an absolute must try. Easy enough to whip up for a crowd, this fun beer cocktail can be prepped ahead of time and made on the fly when guests arrive.
What you will need:
Fresh bunch of mint
Light beer such as a pilsner or other light bodied beer
Grapefruit, sliced for garnish
Pint or Pilsner Beer Glasses
- Start by making your simple syrup. Combine 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Once sugar has dissolved add mint. Remove from heat and allow to sit for a few minutes. Remove mint with tongs or drain through a mesh screen into a small, clean pitcher.
- When simple syrup has reached room temperature cover and put in fridge if not using immediately.
- Cut grapefruit in half. Juice one half of the grapefruit. Cut a medium slice of the other half creating a wheel. Cut in half and then half again creating triangle fruit wedges.
- Wash, dry and slap mint. Set aside. (Fun Fact: Slapping mint helps release the oils!)
- Fill glasses about 2/3 of the way with beer.
- Add 2 tbsp of grapefruit juice or more to taste
- Add 1 tbsp of simple syrup, stir gently
- Top off with sparkling water and a sprinkle of salt
- Garnish with grapefruit wedge and sprig of mint